with Dr. Deb Kern & Laura Forsyth
February 6-13, 2016
Cuba is a place and a people rooted in culture, history, and curiosity that has been all but closed to Americans for nearly half a century–until now. In 2015, travel permissions for U.S. citizens expanded, allowing for cultural groups and scholars to visit the timeworn and magical isle. Join us on this very special exploration and step back in time to experience the culture, art, music, dance, and cuisine of this Caribbean gem.
On this legal and licensed trip for U.S. citizens, local guides will lead us through a very special itinerary that will introduce visitors to the grace and wisdom of Cuba and its yoga community. Experience the magic of old Havana–the food, dancing, culture, beaches, and the warmth of Cuban people–before this country becomes widely open to U.S. tourism (i.e., no Starbucks or McDonald’s yet!). You’ll be traveling with an amazing, like-minded group of yogis who are up for an experience of a lifetime and dedicated to getting the first glimpses of a newly-opened Cuba.
We’ll stay 5 nights in B&B’s near old town Havana, and two nights at a Beachfront hotel in Varadero. We will have private guides throughout our week, often traveling through the city in vintage cars and meeting local artists, musicians, and chefs. We’ll have daily yoga and group activities, plus a few evenings with optional activities where you can explore Cuban cuisine and the vibrant nightlife of Havana.
A highlight of our person-to-person cultural exchange on this journey is our connection to the local yoga community. We will have the opportunity to meet Eduardo Pimentel, the “grandfather” of Cuban yoga and President of the Cuban Yoga Alliance. Through this exchange, we hope to learn of the humanitarian needs of the region so that in future visits we can contribute even more more directly to this community.
Your week includes:
- 7 nights’ accommodations: 5 in B&B’s in Playa, 2 nights in Varadero. Double accommodations are suggested if you are traveling with a friend or partner. Some single accommodations are available in the B&Bs. We ask that you to share a double-accommodation room at the beach hotel or possibly pay a small upgrade fee.
- Group transportation to/ from the airport and to/from daily activities and nightlife
- 4-6 morning yoga classes with Deb
- Cultural exchange with the Cuban yoga community
- Two salsa classes, a tambor performance (Afro-Cuban drums), and a visit to a rumba (a traditional dance party)
- A walking tour of Old Havana, arts, music, and more
- Two days at beautiful Cuban beaches
- Special excursions along the way, including optional visits to the culture-rich Matanzas and Cardenas
- A group audience with Eduardo Pimentel, the grandfather of Cuban yoga, to discuss the Cuban community and its humanitarian needs
- Most meals and group dinners, minus three evening meals in Havana, and optional evening activities such as dancing, live music, drinks on the balcony of the famous Hotel Nacional, and the Tropicana cabaret!)
- Travel to Cancun and to Havana. Once registered, we will send you specific details on how to book your flights.
- Some meals and optional activities
Travel, Additional Information & FAQ’s
Your week includes private transportation during the week, guided explorations cultural classes. Once enrolled, we will send you details about specific flights to book. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Your Teacher & Guide
Dr. Deborah Kern
Deb Kern, Ph.D. is a teacher of vision, a sought-after intuitive guide, health scientist, author and speaker. She has studied with medicine women in Costa Rica, shamans in Bali, and Ayurvedic masters from India to California. A former nurse, health educator, and scientist, Deb conducted a groundbreaking study proving that mind/body integrated approaches to exercise were more effective at reducing anxiety than conventional approaches to exercise. Deb is also a ;yoga therapist, NIA black belt teacher, and creatrix of PranaShakti–a mind/body movement form.
She shares her many modalities of healing and insight with women and men in her retreats and workshops, and offers one-on-one Divine Your Life sessions with true soul seekers from all over the world.
Laura Forsyth is the founder of One Yoga Collective. She began her yoga studentship two decades ago and began teaching in 2005. An E-RYT, Laura specializes in Hatha yoga for all levels, yoga for stress management, yin yoga, restorative yoga and iRest yoga nidra. She leads workshops and trainings on special topics such as yin yoga, and she serves as guest faculty in various teacher training programs. She is deeply grateful to all her teachers including Dr. Richard Miller, Judith Lasater, Donna Farhi, Leslie Kaminoff and so many more.
Her truest passion is facilitating travel that takes people out of their daily lives to offer new perspectives and life-changing experiences.
Investment: $3295 per person
A $795 deposit ensures your space.
The full balance is due by January 1.
Refunds and Cancellations: Refund less deposit ($795) before December 1. 50% refund for cancellations between December 1 and January 1. No refunds after January 1. In case of cancellation, you may transfer your deposit or your reservation to another person as long as you notify One Yoga Collective in advance. Or, if we are able to fill your space from a waitlist, your fees (less your deposit) will be refunded to you. In case of cancellation by One Yoga Collective, you will receive a full refund of all funds received by One Yoga Collective. Due to arrangements made with our vacation hosts, there can be no exceptions to this policy. All participants will be required to sign a liability waiver to participate on this vacation.