with Paradise Taylor
October 2-9, 2021
We’re heading North! Iceland is one of the planet’s true gems. With a total population of only 330,000, Iceland has struck a perfect balance between a warm, welcoming culture and the raw, untamed beauty of its vast mountainous landscapes. While most toursist groups and cruise lines visit the southern capital city Reykjavik (where the majority of population is), we’ll be heading to 66°North Iceland to the town of Akureyri–one of Iceland’s best kept secrets.The cultural capital of Iceland, Akureyri has been voted the number one destination in all of Europe by Lonely Planet on more than one occasion. With a population of only 18,000, a mild climate on the longest fjord in the country, and close proximity to the Arctic Circle (meaning amazing Northern Lights!), Northern Iceland is truly THE place to visit.
One Yoga Global is in an exclusive partnership with the only yoga and wellness center in Northern Iceland. Enjoy your daily yoga practice in a newly-built, one-of-a-kind studio with majestic views of the fjord and soaring mountains that will warm your body and soul. This wellness center is complete with massage rooms, dry sauna, Jacuzzi, showers, changing rooms, and all the amenities, and our friendly and knowledgeable guides live on site, giving this space a personal touch.
Guests of our retreats have a choice of staying in local private apartments complete with geothermal Jacuzzis or at a local hotel in the city center. These comfortable and modern accommodations serve as a launching point for exploring some of most powerful places in Iceland and diving into the island’s rich traditions. You’ll have the opportunity to ride Icelandic horses, see the humpback whales that live in the fjord, visit a nearby island and hike its mountaintops, and possibly even experience the Aurora Borealis.
RE: Covid19 – We will be in contact with all registrants as we approach the retreat to ensure that everyone has what they need for entry to Iceland and return to their home country. Currently, (as of July 28) visitors need either proof of vaccine (or recovery from Covid certificate) plus a negative Covid test (PCR or Antigen) taken in your home country within 72 hours of travel
In the unexpected case that travel becomes restricted / borders close forcing OYG to reschedule the retreat, we will offer a transfer of those dollars to the rescheduled retreat or a maximum refund.
This special week in Northern Iceland is open to all and offers the opportunity to learn about the culture, history and unique geography of Iceland while experiencing some of the most magical sights of this amazing country. Each day will be accompanied by a professional guide who will share details of each site along with local folklore and personal stories.
OUR ITINERARY: Each morning, after breakfast, we will all have the option to participate in an all levels group yoga / movement class. Our hosts will pick us up at each domicile (all within a few blocks) and we’ll be transported across the fjord to our beautiful yoga and wellness center that overlooks the mountains and water. Classes will be welcoming to all, and if you prefer, the center has a relaxation room, beautiful views, a dry sauna and jacuzzi available to our group. After class, we’ll be transported to lunch, and after this, we’ll head out for our day’s activities! If you decide any morning to sleep in and skip a class, you can simply meet us at lunch which is just a couple blocks walk from your home. Our afternoon and evening adventures together will include:
- Hrisey Island-A lovely ferry ride to spend an afternoon picturesque exploration and hike of Hrisey Island. Situated at 66 degrees North, just a stone’s throw from the Arctic Circle, Hrisey is considered one of the “Power” places in Iceland. This can’t be easily explained, so we’ll offer some moments of pause to sit and feel this special planetary vortex energy.
- A local excursion around Akureyri, learning about the history, architecture and folklore. We’ll drive along the fjord and make several stops including visits to some special places and hidden waterfalls, You’ll feel like you’ve been transported back in time, or onto the most spectacular movie set designed by mother nature herself!
- Icelandic Horseriding! the Icelandic Horse is truly unique to Iceland and even boasts a unique gait called the “tolt”. Beginner riders will be in one group and enjoy a breathtakingly beautiful experience of the autumn fields of Iceland. More experienced riders will have the opportunity to trot, canter and tolt through the countryside! We’ll learn about these beautiful animals and be treated to hot beverages and Icelandic treats afterwards.
- A full day adventure to Myvatn – an amazing geothermic region that will take you from the fjord, through the mountains, to the lava fields. You’ll experience the rolling fields of Icelandic sheep contrasted with the barren lunar landscapes that the astronauts used to training for the first lunar landing in the 60’s! Our day concludes with a visit to the thermal baths of the North. In the front is a modern cafe, showers and lockers … when you exit the back, you enter large natural pools of geothermic waters bubbling from mother earth herself. With a high concentration of natural minerals, Icelanders often credit these waters with their health and longevity that is much higher than the norm. We’ll watch the sun set, and the galaxies of stars arise. A sight to behold!
- The Northern Lights! This is a great time of year to witness the dance of lights, but of course, Mother Nature has her own agenda. However, with a timeframe of 7 days, the odds of sightings are high and our skilled hosts are experts at tracking the best times and locations! be prepared on any evening at dinner for our hosts to offer a pick up time to go chasing the lights! Perhaps we’ll even get show while lounging in our backyard jacuzzis or floating in the hot springs in Myvatn!
- Two afternoons of optional activities. On these afternoons, your teachers may offer extra classes, you may decide to explore the little town on your own, have a massage or walk to the Fjord and go take a boat to see the humpback whales. With enough interest, we can take a 1/2 day excursion to Husavik and the amazing GoeSea baths.
Each evening after our excursions, we return to Akureyri for dinner, then relax in our apartments and the backyard Jacuzzis to enjoy the fresh air and excellent company. Side note: Weather in Iceland is more temperate this time of year than you might expect! It is not uncommon for temperatures to be 40-50°F during the day.
Please feel free to email us directly at email@example.com with questions.
PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY.
Most of you will depart your home city on Friday to arrive Saturday early morning in Reykjavik (KEF = Keflavik International) then take a smaller flight from the Reykjavik smaller domestic airport to Akureyri. Your return will be the following Saturday morning from Akureyri – Reykjavik domestic, then a transfer to the International airport (Keflavik) and back home.
Some of you will choose to add extra days on your own in Reykjavik before or after the retreat dates.
Everyone will need to book 2 tickets to get to Akureyri, Northern Iceland (unless you decide to rent a car in Reykjavik and enjoy a picturesque 6 hour drive to Akureyri!) The first flight will be from your hometown to Reykjavik (Keflavik International). From here, you will either drive, or book an easy 45 minute flight from Reykjavik Domestic Airport to Akureyri. This is a different and smaller airport than Keflavik International.
For more detailed advice, links and details on booking travel, we have created a Google document that any of you can access. CLICK HERE for that document.
For this: ARRIVALS the first Saturday – Look at the overnight flights that depart on Friday night and arrive Saturday morning. DEPARTURES on the last Saturday – Most flights (ex. Iceland Air is recommended) leave between 5 and 6pm. If you are flying home on Saturday, do not book a flight that leaves KEF before 2pm.
The short inland flights can be booked at: www.airiceland.is and most of you will book:
To Akureyri: 12:15pm – 1:35pm From Akureyri: 9:45am – 10:30am
Upon arrival to Akureyri, we will be transferred to apartments or hotel rooms (available between 2 and 4pm), settle in, then enjoy dinner together at a local cafe in the town center. The apartments will be stocked with breakfast foods so each participant can manage their own breakfast routine before we head to daily morning yoga classes. Lunches and 5 group dinners are also included (2 dinners in Akureyri are open for the group to explore). Our hosts do their best to accommodate various dietary restrictions (such as dairy free, gluten free, and vegetarian needs); please let us know these needs in advance if possible.
Each morning at a designated time, you’ll be picked up from your apartment or hotel and transported just a few minutes across the fjord to the beautiful yoga studio and wellness center. After class, we’ll head to lunch and then out on our daily adventures to experience the majesty of our surroundings.
Once you are registered, we’ll be in touch about your travel plans!
- warm clothes and several layers
- light thermals (top and bottom)
- warm pants – jeans are usually plenty
- winter gloves / socks and waterproof boots / hiking shoes
- an outer shell that is warm, and wind- and rain-resistant
- warm headgear
- a buff or balaclava for the neck and face
- a bathing suit for the Jacuzzis and springs
- yoga clothes (compression pants make for a nice underlayer)
- adapters for electronics (Iceland uses the round 2-pin style common throughout Europe)
Paradise’s love of fitness and movement brought her to her yoga mat over 20 years ago. Her practice began in the Ashtanga lineage under the guidance of Sharon Moon. She quickly experienced that the practice was not only good for lengthening and strengthening the muscular system, but also provided a sense of balance and calm throughout her life. Now a registered 500-hour Yoga Alliance instructor, Paradise combines energetic forms of yoga such as Flow and Vinyasa with quieter practices of Yin and Restorative, for a well rounded yoga practice. In whatever style she is teaching, she brings a warm, welcoming energy that empowers her students to grow in their personal practice and she encourages playfulness, honesty, and enjoyment. Paradise believes passionately in yoga’s ability to unite oneself and those around you in a positive environment of personal growth. <MORE ABOUT PARADISE>
Double Occupancy Room (shared bath)
Larger private room in a 3-bedroom apartment complete with kitchen, living room, backyard jacuzzi and access to washer/dryer. Family bathroom shared with 4 persons total in the apartment.
Cost: $3495 per person
We have a female in need of a roomate!
Please enquire at firstname.lastname@example.org for other avails
Single Occupancy Room (shared bath)
Private room in a 3-bedroom apartment complete with kitchen, living room, backyard jacuzzi and access to washer/dryer. Family bathroom shared with 4 persons total in the apartment.
Please enquire at email@example.com for availability
Double Occupancy room (Private Bath)
Shares 2 person room in 2- bedroom apartment with private bath, kitchen, living room, backyard jacuzzi and access to washer/dryer.
Cost: $3795 per person
Hotel KEA Akureyri or equivalent. Breakfast included. In the city center.
7 nights accommodation in Akureyri
Transportation from airport, to classes and excursions
Breakfasts, Lunches and 5 dinners in Akureyri
Flight to Reykjavik and Akureyri
Optional Extras (massage, special excursions)
2 dinners in Akureyri
Refunds and Cancellations: Refund less deposit ($695) before June 1, 2021. No refunds after June 1, 2021. In case of cancellation, you may transfer your deposit or your reservation to another person as long as you notify One Yoga Global 21+ days in advance. Due to arrangements made with our vacation hosts, there can be no exceptions to this policy.
If you place a deposit, the balance due will be set to charge in equal installments starting the month after deposit through July, 2021, unless other arrangements are made. Participants will be required to sign the application and liability waiver to participate on this trip.
We HIGHLY recommend that you consider purchasing Travel Insurance. Travel insurance companies like TRAVEL GUARD offer policies that insure your investment in case you need to cancel (including “cancel for any reason” coverages), coverages for expenses incurred due to to weather & travel delays, personal property loss and emergency travel medical. Please review policies carefully to choose the coverage you need.
We recommend that you consider purchasing trip insurance to protect your investment. Trawick International and Travel Guard are two providers that we recommend. Please review policies carefully to ensure they provide the coverage you need.