with Susan Somers-Willett
Join One Yoga Global for a very special journey marrying the practice of yoga with the independent and artistic spirit of northern Spain’s cultural capital.
Nestled on the Mediterranean coast of Spain in the Catalonia region, Barcelona is a bustling, cosmopolitan city (the second-largest in Spain) with a unique fusion of modern sensibilities and old world charm. This eclectic mix is no more evident than in the art and architecture of the city, including the organic modernist architecture of Antoni Gaudí, the playful cubism of Pablo Picasso, and the bold whimsy of surrealists Salvador Dalí and Joan Miró.
Through the practice of yoga, we will map the vibrant shapes and colors of these creative geniuses onto our bodies and minds, sparking our own imaginations and sense of play. Your yoga instructor and guide Susan Somers-Willett is a long-time student of modernist art and literature, and together we will explore the sights, sounds, and tastes that make Barcelona one of the most sought-after and laid-back destinations in Europe.
A highlight of our journey will be a visit to La Sagrada Família, a massive, awe-inspiring basilica designed by Antoni Gaudí that has been under construction for over 100 years and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Slated for completion in 2026 and home to some of the most innovative architectural methods and sculpture in western architecture, La Sagrada Família is a marvel of light and space. The vast art nouveau-inspired interior (designed to hold 13,000 worshippers) was recently completed and opened to the public, lending jaw-dropping views of the soaring columns representing the Tree of Life, stone facades and spires that appear to melt upward, and enormous stained glass windows that illuminate the basilica and its visitors with all colors of the rainbow. We’ll open our hearts in this sacred space and consider it as a source of meditation, using its forms and play of light to inspire our own unbridled creativity.
Other highlights of Barcelona include:
- Lounging and people-watching at Barceloneta beach
- Touring the cobblestone alleys of the Gothic Quarter and its medieval buildings and churches
- Daily yoga classes
- Strolling down the historic pedestrian mall La Rambla, which poet Fredrico Garcia Lorca famously said was “the only street in the world which I wish would never end.”
- Shopping at the La Boquería, one of the best open-air markets in the world featuring freshly caught seafood, delicious produce, and artisan crafts
- Losing yourself in Park Güell, Antoni Gaudí’s magical landscape with plenty of mosaics, art nouveau structures, rolling hills, topiaries, and hidden architectural surprises
- Viewing homes and apartment buildings designed by Gaudí, including La Pedrera and Casa Batlló
- Visiting the Museo Picasso, an entire museum dedicated to the works of Pablo Picasso
- Enjoying Barcelona’s teeming nightlife, including tapas bars, cava bars, desert cafés, nightclubs, and flamenco dancing
- Making an optional excursion to Fundacío Joan Miró, a museum dedicated to the art of this expressionist master
- Indulging in decadent seafood meals, wine tastings, and foodie explorations on your own
Travel, Additional Information & FAQ’s
More details coming soon!
Your Teacher & Guide
A poet, teacher, and yogini, Susan Somers-Willett specializes in body-appropriate movement, relaxation, and helping students through physical and emotional transition. She encourages her students to pursue a diverse and inward practice that balances challenge with restoration, and her Hatha-based flow and yin classes emphasize alignment and modification based on individual anatomy, all with a warm sense of humor and a body-positive attitude. Susan is an RYT 200 and PYRT, and she is a student of Tantric philosophy, yin yoga, women’s practices such a pre- and post-natal yoga, and linking yoga with creativity. She also holds a Ph.D. in American Literature from The University of Texas at Austin and has taught poetry and creative writing at several research universities across the U.S. Susan’s own practice ranges widely from Ashtanga to restorative classes, and her enthusiasm for incorporating different approaches to yoga shows in her instruction, which ranges from lyrical, challenging flow to deep relaxation. [Read more about Susan]
We recommend that you consider purchasing trip insurance in case you need to cancel your trip and/or flights AND for travel / Medical insurance. Travel Guard is one provider of this insurance. Please note that travel insurance may need to be purchased within a limited window of reserving your trip or purchasing airline tickets. Please click for details.